Tuesday 6 August 2013

Knive from raw iron bloom. Stage 2

I finished the handle and made a push pin lock for the blade, like the famous Boker Kalashnikov Automatic knive. The blade arrests with a resonant "click" :) The next step will be finding a nice wood for the handles. 
A litte drop of bitterness: Because I couldn't get rid of some slag inclusions during smithing, the blade has one bad forge welding (Thats where I placed the pivot). Yet I didn't realized until now, that at the pivot the layers aren't welded at all. Maybe I'll replace the blade as time comes by, but as this is my first selfmade pocket knive I'm still very pride. So stay tuned for the final step.

The unfinished folding knive with bronce handles

Folded

Detail of the lock mechanism. The blade shows a bad forge welding at the pivot.

Fits nice in my hands

No comments:

Post a Comment