Tuesday 23 July 2013

Knive from raw iron bloom. Stage 1

One of my new projects is to make an small folding knive from my recent bloomery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlB1_plOjxc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXZw76_-xa6cK532J9bqZTw). I have chosen to make the blade from the raw, compressed bloom. By this, the blade gets a very coarse look and u can see the slag inclusions on one hand, and the inhomogeneous carbon content by etching with citric acid on the other hand. The handle is tin bronze (CuSn6). You see, there is some work to be done, especially for the handle, so stay tuned.

The blade was made from the raw, compressed bloom. I started with an iron bar (right corner) made from a part of my recent iron bloom.

Detail of the blade after smithing and grinding

Polished and etched blade

The blade and the bronze handles


No comments:

Post a Comment